Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Survivor

In honor of Prematurity Awareness Month

I've always had a problem with referring to Eliza as a "miracle baby!" but really didn't put much time into thinking about it (most brain power over the last year has been reserved for more important things, like not going insane!) It just rubbed me the wrong way somehow. Lately I've been giving it a little more thought and I think I have a better understanding of my response.The spark of life, a baby born at 40 weeks healthy, a person falling from a building and landing unscathed - those I would call miracles. But a baby born at barely more than half her intended gestation, sole survivor of her siblings, staring down and fighting death every day for months? No, I would call that something else. A survivor.  I think Eliza deserves the credit for being alive and for doing as well as she is now. (as does her very hard-working medical team.) She is the toughest person I know. She fights incredibly hard for every single hard-won step of progress she makes. She is the only person I know that has had 6 surgeries, spent 162 days in the hospital before being discharged with a 10-page summary containing 37 separate diagnoses, did it all starting at only 1lb 4oz and has come out the other side thriving. Eliza and babies like her are tough, resilient, survivors.

I am so proud to have her as my daughter.




(I just thought of another miracle..how on earth Glenn and I managed to create such an amazingly strong person!)

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. But I'd add that you and Glenn are at least as tough. It is hellish agony every minute of every day that you watch your child suffering, struggling, taking nothing for granted and appreciating even the most mundane. You and Glenn have done that since before Day 1, and continue to find joy while still in the throws of things.

    Kudos, love and continued strength to all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete