Thursday, March 24, 2011

Happy 30th Birthday Heather!

Today is Heather's 30th birthday. I've only known her for six of those thirty years but they've been the best six years of my life.

Heather isn't one of those people who insists on staying "29 years old" at this point. She recognizes her 30th birthday as a milestone in life but hasn't been obsessing about it or worrying about what it "means" to turn 30. It has probably helped that Eliza has kept us both busy enough lately that Heather hasn't had much time to think about it, but I think that Heather wouldn't be bothered by it even if she had all the time and energy in the world. She's sensible like that. I hope I'll be equally sensible when my 30th birthday approaches in ... oh my god, less than a year! Panic! (Just kidding...?)

Some people have goals for what they want to accomplish before they turn 30, or 35, or whatever. Two years ago, we agreed that we wanted to have a child before we turned 30. I'd say we accomplished that indeed, although certainly not in a way that either of us would have ever expected. That's life, isn't it? It makes me wonder what expectations we have now that will have been fulfilled (or not) in unexpected ways by our next milestone.

But enough of such musings... today we have a birthday to celebrate, a 30th birthday, a 30th birthday of a woman I love deeply.

Heather, this last year has shown so much more of your depth and strength of character and will. When you were pregnant and on bed rest, I was impressed with how steadfast and calm you were in handling the daily ups and downs and challenges. When our babies were born far too soon, I was amazed with your courage and dedication in learning the ways of the ICN so that you could be their best possible advocate and defender. When first Oliver and then Charlotte died, you grieved but remained strong for Eliza's sake. As Eliza stayed in the hospital for what seemed an eternity, you dedicated yourself to spending every day by her side and caring for her in every way you could. Now that she is home, and I see you working so hard every day to being the best mother you can be, I am continually humbled by your focus, your insight and understanding of our daughter, and your dedication to doing everything possible to help her to overcome the challenges she faces and excel at everything life has to offer her. You are truly an amazing woman and mother.

Happy birthday, Heather! I hope this birthday is your best one yet and marks the start of a wonderful new decade!

Love,

Glenn

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you! May there be many, many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May this first birthday as a mother be just the beginning of many more happy and blessed years.
    Happy birthday!!
    Jackie & Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Heather -- to the next wonderful three decades!

    -Melynda

    ReplyDelete