Monday, August 23, 2010

OB Update

No hospital visits this week or last week! Yay! This was my first week on disability leave from work so I have been really taking it easy and doing very little and it seems to be helping with the contractions. Surprisingly I haven't become too bored, though I am probably turning into a recluse. As of today I've been on bedrest for 4.5 weeks! The time has passed relatively fast  and that is probably because for the majority of the time I was still working from home.

Well I'm writing this from the hospital!  I find it humorous that I was writing this post a couple hours before we headed to the hospital. Yesterday I started have several frequent non painful contractions and after calling the Doctor on call to see if there was anything we should do, he asked us to come in. After some IV fluids and motrin, things calmed down. I'm here again tonight and possibly longer but were are just waiting to see. And now back to the previously written post :)

At my OB appointment on Thursday the ultrasound showed continual funneling of my cervix. It is now down to 4 mm closed from the 8 mm last week. Not good news but the doctor said that she was encouraged that it was going so slowly. We are heading towards an inevitable hospital stay, its just a matter of when. Most likely it wont be until almost 24 weeks gestation because that is the point they can/will start more aggressively treating pre-term labor. That would get me to the beginning of September before heading to the hospital. I feel a little more positive about this situation at the moment because the Dr. (the one I feel is the most helpful, attentive, and aware of my current situation) said on Thursday that even if there is no closed cervix left, dilating starts, one of the membranes ruptures, it doesn't mean its the end of the pregnancy. That was surprising to me since I thought thats exactly what all of those meant. Friday's ultrasound will also be the first growth ultrasound since the anatomy scan. They will be estimating weight and size of the babies at that visit. I am looking forward to it but it also means a good couple of HOURS laying on my back and having someone pushing on the belly. Measuring 3 sets of everything takes a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment