Monday, June 20, 2011

Life in Preemie World

I saw this article today and it really resonated so thought I would share it. Please read.

ABC Article


Life with a preemie is... different, and definitely not what us preemie moms envisioned when we started our journey to parenthood. I like how the article talks a little bit about life after the NICU and how it's NOT at all  like coming home with a full-term baby. Life has not been sunshine and roses since we came home even though it seems like it should be.

Sometimes I wonder if PTSD is exactly what I have. I'm having a hard time in social situations the last few months because I get many comments about how happy I must be, how great Eliza's doing, and what a miracle she is, and yes I agree ...but god I'm just so sad too. I hate how horrible this last year has been and everything we've had to plow through to get here. I hate that we've been home for several months and we STILL go to a doctor's an average of once a week. I hate that I've felt so overwhelmed with Eliza at times that I wonder how I would have ever coped with three babies in the same situation. I hate not being able to breastfeed Eliza and that we have tried EVERYTHING and Eliza still will not eat. I hate that she has a port in her belly that we have to feed her through, that her body is trying to reject it, and that we have to treat it by burning tissue with silver nitrate every 3 days.

Most of all I just hate feeling this way.


****I dislike being negative because I know that there are always people in the same and much worse situations but sometimes it just gets to me.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this article was posted through a major news network. And I'm even more glad it gives you an unbiased venue through which to share some insight on what you are and have been going through. ( !!! )

    All three of you are so incredibly strong. Please know we're here if/when you need someone to lean on. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears and hugs all around. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can't even imagine being as strong as you guys! I've often been overwhelmed by having a fully healthy baby because I know that is more than a fulltime job. Let us know if there is anything we can do from MS. It was great finally meeting Eliza!
    Shelley & Greg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you very much! Your strength,
    even at weak moments, is unbelievable
    and awe-inspiring! Eliza is sooo blessed
    to have you!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete